Write Your code here here International Students | STADIO

User account menu


International students are welcome at STADIO.  As an international student, it is important that you familiarize yourself with the registration procedure at STADIO.  Should you wish to study via contact learning at one of our campuses, you need to obtain a study visa. 

Who needs a study visa?

All international students who are resident in South Africa for the duration of their studies are required to have a study visa to study in the Republic of South Africa. STADIO is not permitted to register you unless you have permanent residence status, or a valid temporary resident permit (i.e. a study visa). This includes students pursuing any higher education qualification.

Process to register with STADIO

Prospective international students will apply to STADIO for admission onto the programme of their choice. STADIO will consider the application and on successful admission, students will be issued with a conditional letter of acceptance from STADIO. This official letter is required to apply for a study visa.

Once the study visa has been obtained, students will be allowed to register with STADIO. On Registration, students will need to submit a valid passport, a valid study visa, proof of medical insurance for the academic year as well as proof of payment of fees. International students are charged qualification fees as payable by a South African citizen including an International Registration Fee (SADC citizen or non-SADC citizen).

Permanent residence in South Africa entitles the holder to rights similar to that of South African citizens with a few exceptions. Permanent residents pay university fees as payable by a South African citizen. At registration, international students who have permanent residence will be required to submit a valid passport with a South African permanent residence permit/stamp therein.

Please note that students must submit the correct documentation at registration, i.e. either a permanent residence permit/stamp in their passport OR a valid study visa for STADIO.  A student who fails to submit one of the above will not be able to register.

How to obtain a study visa?

For any visa application for South Africa, you generally must apply at the South African consulate, embassy or diplomatic representative in your country of residence or citizenship, or in the closest country if not available in your own. Find out where to apply in your own country from this list of South African offices abroad. From abroad, you can call the DHA on +27 11 461 9252 for more information.

If you are already in South Africa, to apply for a visa or extension you need to visit a Visa Facilitation Centre (VFS) or you can complete an application form online. You can visit your nearest Department of Home Affairs office for information or call 0800 60 11 90 (toll free inside South Africa).

South African study visa requirements (B1-1738)

In order to obtain a visa, you will need to submit the following South African student visa requirements:

  • A passport valid for at least 30 days after the end of your course, with two consecutive, clear pages left for entry and departure stamps.
  • Payment for the South African student visa application.
  • Two colour passport-sized photographs.
  • An official letter (conditional letter of acceptance) from STADIO confirming the duration of your course, plus confirmation that it will inform the authorities if you fail to register, you are de-registered or expelled or when the course is completed or extended.
  • Proof of necessary finances to cover tuition fees and living costs for the duration of your stay (bank statements, travellers’ cheques, etc.) and a cash deposit to cover the cost of a return ticket.
  • Certificate of medical aid cover or health insurance recognised by the South African authorities, plus a letter confirming that it will be renewed every year for the duration of your stay. To check that your medical scheme is recognised by the South African Department of Home Affairs, see this list of registered medical aid schemes in South Africa. If you are a student and the dependent child of a parent holding a South African visa and medical insurance, you may be covered by your parent’s scheme. Occasionally, South African high commissions accept foreign medical aid and international insurance policies.
  • In some cases, a yellow fever vaccination certificate.
  • Medical and radiological reports from within last six month.
  • Information about where you will be living in South Africa.
  • A police clearance certificate for every country you’ve lived in for more than 12 months since the age of 18.
  • Birth certificates of dependent children.
  • Relevant certificates if married, widowed, divorced.

South African study visa for students under 18


If you are under 18 years old when you apply for a South African study visa, you do not need a police clearance certificate. Students under 12 years old are additionally exempt from submitting radiological reports. Minors who are under 18 years will generally need to submit the following South African student visa requirements:


  • A birth certificate (or legal adoption) and proof of parents’ identity.
  • Written consent from both parents or from one if your parents are divorced, or from a guardian if your parents are deceased or you are not in the care of your parents; you may need to provide documentation with proof of the situation.
  • Proof of the address and contact number of an adult in South Africa who will act as your guardian (and a letter confirming this).

Read more


Additional South African admission requirements

  • If the admission requirements for your chosen STADIO qualification is a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC), you need to obtain an exemption certificate from Universities South Africa.


Visit http://mbit-application.usaf.ac.za/assessment/ for further information


  • If the admission requirement for your chosen STADIO qualification is a prior undergraduate qualification, you need to obtain a certificate of equivalence for the foreign qualification(s) completed.


Visit https://dfqeas.saqa.co.za/dfqeas/user/home for further information