COMMERCE, ADMINISTRATION & MANAGEMENT
Doctor of Management
DOWNLOAD AN APPLICATION FORM
Qualification / Course Information
of 2 Years and a maximum of 6 Years
The focus of the Doctor of Management programme is to enable learners to develop in-depth, advanced discipline-specific skills and applied competence in management to provide opportunities for continued personal intellectual growth, productive economic activity and making a rewarding contribution to society.
Also, the qualification aims to empower learners to solve complex business-related problems in a focused way and to effectively manage and allocate resources, to communicate effectively, and to contribute to knowledge and socio-economic transformation responsibly and ethically.
The qualification endeavours to provide Southern Africa with highly skilled individuals particularly from disadvantaged communities in business administration, to ensure that the leadership base of innovative and knowledge-based economic and scholarly activity is strengthened and diversified.
- Independently design a research project and execute such a plan.
- Apply advanced scientific methods responsibly.
- Efficiently manage the collection, organisation and analysis of relevant information.
- Analyse theory and practical problems to contribute to the existing body of knowledge related to a specific aspect of management.
- Contribute to the development of new theories, models and practices.
- Conduct further academic research independently to contribute to local research output.
- Write and present technical reports to professional audiences, including the management environment.
Supervisors are appointed to provide guidance and student support during the research process. This includes the participation in methodological workshops.
Student support is enhanced through our online interactive communication tool, electronic documents and websites, e-journals and e-books, research related videos, interactive feedback and supportive communication at all times.
THE ADMISSION CRITERIA FOR THE DOCTOR OF MANAGEMENT ARE:
an appropriate Master’s degree with an average mark of 65%;
a minimum of five (5) years work experience in a managerial capacity;
an initial research proposal
In addition, applicants need to consider the Doctoral application, admission and examination process, which distinguishes between four phases in a student’s doctoral journey, namely the:
- pre-candidature (the application, selection and admission process);
- candidature (supervisor appointment, attending workshops and colloquia, exam preparation symposium);
- examination; and
- graduation phases
STADIO is committed to achieving inclusion and to overcome barriers to access and success in higher education. Applicants who do not meet the stated admission criteria, but who have relevant work experience and/or prior learning may apply for admission under the policy on Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). STADIO admits a maximum of 10% per cohort via RPL. The implementation of RPL is context-specific, in terms of discipline, programme and level. Further information may be obtained from your Student Recruitment Advisor.
This qualification consists of the following compulsory module at NQF Level 10:
- Compulsory Module: Thesis, 360 Credits.
The module consists of three (3) phases of integrated assessment, namely:
Phase 1: Proposal
Phase 2: Completion of research and thesis
Phase 3: Examination of the thesis